I am thrilled with this cake. I still have to pinch myself that it’s not made out of grain flour! With desserts this delicious, no reason to return to grain flour: I love it, the hubs loves it and I have to beat the kids back with a stick (this, of course, is figuratively).
The texture is smooth and moist, and it is full of rich flavor. I sprinkled the top with cinnamon for a dash of spice that gives the cake a gourmet look when serving. Just remember to soak your sunflower seeds the day before.
This cake might make a very nice Spring Celebration or Mother’s Day Cake, dressed up with some miniature cut sunflowers!
For a fresh cake that’s sure to please, here’s another GAPS recipe, from “Internal Bliss”:
- 2 1/2 cups of Sunflower Seeds, soaked and wet
- 2 Tbsp Coconut Oil ( I also added 1 Tblsp butter)
- 1/3-1/2 cup Honey
- 4 Eggs
- 2 tsp Cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 350˚F.
- Grind the sunflower seeds into a smooth paste in the food processor.
- Add the rest of the ingredients and blend until mixture is well combined.
- Pour mixture into greased 8×8 baking dish or 9 inch cake pan.
- Bake for 50-60 minutes. A knife inserted in the center will come out clean when the cake is done.
And by the way, I think this cookbook is worth it’s weight in gold….even if you have no intention of letting go of your favorite spelt pancakes! Hope you enjoy the recipe, and I would love to see links to other great grain free recipes like this one! Please feel free to link them in a comment below so others can enjoy them, as well.